To be a leader in a growing industry, you have to build the best team. We are looking for a Mechanical Engineer to join our team in developing intelligent, Soft Robotic Gripping solutions with an emphasis on automating the food industry. The Mechanical Engineer will work on a cross functional development team and collaborate at the system level to converge on the best overall approach. This position will be responsible for designing, developing, testing, debugging, verifying, and validating entirely new products as well as iterations of existing products, systems, subsystems, and components. Key subsystems include Soft Fingers, Grippers, Pneumatics actuations systems, Controls, Imaging, Processing, and Robot Interfaces.
At Soft Robotics, we have impressive technology that distinguishes us from the competition, and a healthy road map of interesting development to accomplish. More than a person that checks every box, we’re looking for someone who is excited to work with our fantastic, cohesive team at Soft Robotics!
What You’ll Do:
- Design mechanical systems and subsystems. Perform 3D modeling, simulation, and analysis
- Design for safety, manufacturability, and reliability, and test in accordance with domestic and international standards
- System test and debug
- Design verification and validation
- Support manufacturing and test
- Participate in risk management and control: Perform Fault Tree Analysis (FTA) and Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Participate in design reviews and document development activities per established product development processes
Who You’ll Be:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with a demonstrated track record of exceptional individual performance in a fast-paced product development organization
- Proficient in the creation and maintenance of quality documentation
- Strong interpersonal skills and thrives in a highly-integrated team environment but can also work independently without supervision
- Methodical, detail oriented, and well organized
- Excellent time management skills and comfort when working in a fast-paced environment on multiple, simultaneous projects
- Experience with pneumatic systems, robotics and automation, or other complex electromechanical systems is strongly desired
- Knowledge of regulatory and compliance requirements for industrial automation products desired
Who You Are:
- Has a balanced combination of strong intertest in system level design, experience in Robotics or Industrial Automation, and the Mechanical Engineering discipline.
- Thrives when working as part of a highly collaborative, cross functional development team.
- Experienced in designing complex systems that incorporate embedded electronics, cameras, sensors, actuators and pneumatics.
- Experienced with all phases of New Product Development from ideation to production.
- Addresses the risks in your design through early prototyping and proof of principle.
- Fluent in Solidworks for 3D modeling, 3D Surfacing, PDM vaulting, simulation, drawing creation and documentation.
- Experience using MATLAB or Python for mathematical analysis.
- Ability to work in a machine shop/lab.
- Familiarity with various 3D printing, laser cutting, using hand and small power tools, and other rapid prototyping techniques.